New Nexus S Smartphone from Google Launches in the UK Only at The Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy
December 6th, 2010
6 December, 2010 (London, UK) - The Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy UK are excited to announce the launch of Nexus S™ from Google™ in the UK later this month. Nexus S, manufactured in partnership with Samsung, will be one of the most advanced Smartphones in the market. The phone will launch in the UK with a limited release before Christmas only at The Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy UK (which is run in partnership with The Carphone Warehouse).
Both retailers will offer Nexus S for free from £35/month or SIM free from £549.95. Customers can pre-order at http://www.carphonewarehouse.com and go to http://www.bestbuy.co.uk to find out more from today.
Nexus S from Google is the must-have phone of the year and offers an unbeatable combination of cutting-edge technology and a pioneering operating system. It is the world’s first phone to run on the latest version of the Android™ platform, version 2.3 – the highly anticipated Gingerbread – and also features Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which allows the phone to read information from “smart” objects (e.g. objects such as movie posters or stickers embedded with NFC tags) by placing the back of Nexus S close to the object. Imagine walking up to a movie poster, touching your phone to it, and instantly the movie trailer appears on your phone. NFC tags can contain text, URLs, pictures, and other kinds of information.
With its Contour Display, Nexus S is also the world’s first mobile phone with a curved screen. The market-leading technology is designed to fit comfortably in the palm of your hand and along the side of your face while the limited edition, premium super amoled screen reflects four times less glare under direct sunlight compared to traditional LCD screens, so pictures and text appear brilliantly sharp and vibrant.
Additional benefits include:
• 16 GB of internal memory providing plenty of space for music, games and other apps;
• A powerful 1GHz Hummingbird processor plus dedicated Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) so customers enjoy one of the fastest and most seamless user experiences available;
• Combined Flash and HTML5 technology for high-speed and sophisticated internet browsing;
• A brilliant 4” display that is up to 1.5x brighter than traditional LCD displays;
• Improved motion gesture sensors for enhanced quality gaming and location tracking without requiring GPS;
• Back and front-facing cameras for face-to-face video chats (requires installation of a 3rd party application from Android Market or elsewhere) and;
• A ‘pure Google’ Smartphone experience, in which users will be the first to receive software upgrades and new applications as they become available.
Andrew Harrison, Chief Operating Officer of The Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy UK, said “Nexus S from Google represents a giant leap forward for Smartphones. It’s the most sophisticated Android phone to date and will make a big impression with its speed, advanced features and beautiful curved design. I’m absolutely delighted that The Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy are working with Google to offer such a strong product exclusively to our customers.”
Andy Rubin, Vice President, Engineering at Google said, “Innovation is at the heart of Google, and Nexus S allows us to drive even greater innovation for the benefit of consumers, the Android ecosystem of partners, and the mobile industry. This device combines hardware innovation by one of our partners, Samsung, with innovations to the Android platform, to raise the bar on what’s possible when it comes to creating a powerful mobile user experience. The Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy are fantastic partners to launch this phone to our customers.”
- Ends -
For further information please contact Freud Communications:
020 3003 6376
Lorna Jane Hyland
020 3003 6314
Notes to Editors
• The Carphone Warehouse is the largest independent mobile phone retailer in the UK, with over 800 stores nationwide. It is part of Best Buy Europe, a joint venture between Carphone Warehouse plc and Best Buy Inc, whose brands include The Carphone Warehouse, Best Buy UK, The Phone House and Geek Squad, as well as Best Buy Mobile in the US.
• Google will launch the Nexus S in the US exclusively with Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile.
• Best Buy has stores in Thurrock (Essex), Hedge End (Southampton), Merry Hill (Birmingham), Aintree (Liverpool), Croydon and Derby. For more information go to http://www.bestbuy.co.uk.
• Google, Nexus S, Android, and Android Market are registered trademarks of Google Inc.